March 07 2017 news release: New web tools aim to reduce daily commuting nightmare
B.C.-based initiative aims to save Canadians from long commutes to work
VICTORIA, B.C. — Commuting to and from work is a soul- and health-destroying horror show for millions of Canadians, but hope is in sight, according to CloseCommute Systems Inc. The Victoria-based benefit corporation today is launching a website, app and toolkit with a mission to “radically reduce commutes” while increasing productivity and cutting greenhouse gas emissions.
“Within two years we can get 5% to 10% of the vehicles off the roads and save people hundreds of hours each year,” says CEO Bruce Batchelor. “We just need long-commuters to become aware that there is a proven, simple solution and to insist their employers get on board.”
The way to improve commuting efficiency is not complicated, Batchelor says, and it costs employers next to nothing to implement……
Read more … view as PDF
Briefing notes – view as PDF
- Wendy McLellan, Communications, 604-916-9139 (PST) WendyMcLellan@ymail.com
- Bruce Batchelor, Chief Organizer, 250-380-0998 (PST) CloseCommute@gmail.com
- Photo of Bruce Batchelor (three resolutions) download 12.6 Mb.
- Photo of Bruce Batchelor (with beard) download 9.3 Mb.
- Multiple versions of our logotype and identity graphics download 10.1 Mb.
- "The Effects of Long Commutes and What To Do About Them - An Annotated Bibliography"
We're in the news!
March 07 2017 Jeff Bell's lead article in the Times Colonist business section: "CloseCommute program could ease traffic woes developer says"
March 05 2017 Wayne Moriarty's column in The Province: "Victoria site helps companies and employees reduce commute time"
"Let Employees Work Close to Home" was one of TIME magazine's "51 Things We Can Do to Save the Environment" in 2007. Despite this publicity and the obvious logic behind the concept, Gene Mullins's Proximate Commuting was not adopted by HR departments at large employers. CloseCommute is a re-branded, re-imagined and updated version of Proximate Commuting.
Your home, work and play only a short hop apart …